Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 31, 2011

ONLINE LESSON #2

*Re-read Ray Bradbury's story "All Summer in a Day." In your blog, identify who should be held responsible for Margot's treatment, and why.

I feel that the teacher and the bully should be held responsible for Margot's treatment. Firstly, I strongly feel that teacher should have stepped in to stop the bully. I am sure the teacher has seen how Margot was treated and she should not have just let the matter go. Now that the teacher failed to take action, Margot has just missed the precious hour of sunlight and has to wait for another seven years before the sun apperars again. The bully is also at fault. He keeps putting her down that the sun would not appear at all. He should not have locked Margot in the closet. He still refuses to open the door when the girls plead with him. Only when the sun had risen and set, did he remember about Matgot and feel guilty of what he did to Margot.

Then imagine yourself as one of the schoolchildren; what might you have chosen to do which would have led to a positive outcome? (#LA-ACE)

If I were one of the boys, I would stood up against the bully and fight for Margot's rights. This is because I feel that there is no difference between a person who is born on Earth and born on Venus. After reading the story, I saw how damaging prejudice can be to a person. Thus, I told myself that I would never make the same mistake. Instead, I felt that if I was the bully's friend, I should stand up for the right thing and make no comprimises in fighting for Margot's release. This would be a good way of settling the problem as the bully can realise his mistake earlier and he would not have to feel guilty later, moreover, Margot would also get to see the sun.

However, if I were one of the girls, I know that it would be pointless trying to argue with the boys as they would simply ignore me. Thus, I would think of alternatives such as looking for help from the teacher. I am sure that the teacher would be able to settle this matter peacefully and everyone would get to see the sun and no tears would be shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment