Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 18, 2011

"The One Word that can Save Your Life" Term 3 LA ACE

During reading period today, I read an article in the Newsweek magazine entitled "The one word that can save your live". The article heading was very catchy and intriguing. It prompted me to read on further. I was on how some common tests and procedures aren't just expensive, but can do more harm than good. My parents have told me quite a number of times why they were so unwilling to bring me for X-rays or go for scans as they are afraid of the amount of radioactive waves passing through your body. However, this is the first time I ever came across such an article. I felt that it is very informative and people from all walks of life should read it. It helps people to make important decisions and make people think twice before making a decision whether to do the scan. Some people in the society are not that educated and do not really know and should require articles like these to guide them. Doctors should also be well informed in this issue and recommend scans according to the patient's current state and even if the patient insists, then he should explain to the patient.This way, the number of lives lost due to excessive scans would be reduced. Moreover, people can get worried unnecessarily as the scan result can be very dubious at times. I t may seem to spot insignificant shadows and giving the patients a possibility that he/she has a tumor. This could be just a false alarm after many other checks or a regressing tumor. therefore,these can also help patients relieve their pains and worries and they do not have to pay extra.

1 comment:

  1. Before reading this article, I never knew that X-rays were harmful in anyways. Still, isn't X-rays still necessary in our lives, such as if we have fractured our arm or something, the X-ray is the most accurate way to confirm the diagnosis?

    ReplyDelete